Wednesday 23 January 2013

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey


I was quite excited to see this film. I loved the Lord of the Rings films, and always thought that they should make a film of the Hobbit too. On a recent trip to Alnwick I decided that re-familiarising myself with the book would be a good idea, and I remembered how much I loved that too. So I was expecting quite a lot from the movie.

I wasn’t disappointed. The first instalment of the Hobbit series was entertaining, exciting, fast-paced and enjoyable. I was a bit sceptical at first about splitting it into three parts, but having seen the first part, I think it could work. It was a faithful translation of the book, with some bits added from Tolkien’s other works. The first part of the film tells of how Bilbo got involved with the Dwarf plans, and the first part of their journey, up to the point where the eagles save them from the goblin attacks.

There are several appearances from other Lord of the Rings characters. Ian Holm makes a welcome appearance as the old Bilbo, with Elijah Wood popping up as Frodo. Obviously, Gandalf and Elrond are involved in the story and so must re-appear, but both Galadriel and Saruman show in the movie. I really liked the way that the beginning of The Fellowship of the Ring ties in with the storytelling nature of The Hobbit, and was very pleased to see Frodo appear again. However, when I first saw Saruman and Galadriel I was convinced that they were there to boost the cast a bit. However, after watching the scenes involving Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel, and Saruman I thought they had the potential to be really useful in providing a bit more background to the Lord of the Rings films.

Martin Freeman plays Bilbo Baggins in this film, and I loved him in this role. I thought he was brilliant, and perfectly managed to portray Bilbo’s lack of enthusiasm for the adventure. I especially liked the scene where the dwarves take over his house. His bustling captured Bilbo’s homeliness delightfully in my opinion. I am very much looking forward to seeing more of Martin Freeman as the films progress. I think it’s quite clear that Peter Jackson has an eye for casting, as Freeman is excellent in this role, and in an interview with NME magazine (http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/peter-jackson-martin-freeman-was-the-only-person/292825) Peter Jackson says that “Martin was the only person that we wanted for that role...before we met Martin”. I think he made a good choice.

In my blogs on Lord of the Rings (The Return of the King I think), I talk about how Andy Serkis surpassed himself in playing Gollum. Just when I thought he couldn’t get any better in the role The Hobbit comes out and just blows me away. Here we see a Gollum who is not driven to madness at having lost the Ring, but is happy and content knowing he is the only one who knows about it. Andy Serkis is supreme at conveying a more sociable Gollum, and once again, excels at performing the conflicts between his two personalities.

The way that the dwarves come across in The Hobbit is exactly how I pictured them as well. Richard Armitage is majestic as Thorin Oakenshield, and I predict big things for him in the future. He is able to convey passion, ferocity, drive and emotion with seeming ease. It was also good to see the dwarves Gloin and Balin, who are mentioned in the Lord of the Rings films. Gloin is the father of Gimli, and I liked the strong resemblance that they bear to each other. Balin is the dwarf who is buried in Moria, and it is easy to see from this film (and the book) why he is given such a special burial. His character is wonderfully played by Ken Stott, and I look forward to seeing more of him in the next films. A tip of the hat must also go to James Nesbitt, who pops up as Bofur.

Now before The Hobbit was released there was a lot of talk about the way Peter Jackson had filmed it. It used a higher frame rate than other films have used, and this was meant to affect the way it was perceived. I’m not sure whether it was because I saw the film in 3D but there were aspects of it that seemed really graphically poor. Fire, for example, always seemed really contrived, and there were parts of the motion sequences that seemed unnaturally sped up or like they were lifted from a PlayStation game (thanks to Tom Newbold for that little analogy).

Overall, The Hobbit is a good film. It has nothing on the Lord of the Rings movies, but it is still an enjoyable film. However, whereas the Lord of the Rings films can be seen by everyone, I’d say that The Hobbit should probably be watched by people who liked the original movies or books, because otherwise a lot of the intricacies of the plot might pass you by.

No comments:

Post a Comment